North Carolina Lions Eyeglass
The Need for Glasses
According to The World Health Organization, 153 million people have uncorrected refractive errors (near sightedness, far-sightedness or astigmatism). Most of these vision impairments are quickly diagnosed and easy to treat with corrective lenses.
Still, millions of people in developing nations are pushed deeper into poverty simply because they don’t have glasses. They can’t learn, because reading is difficult. They can’t work to the best of their ability, because they can’t see clearly. For children, clear vision means a better education, healthier development and a better quality of life. For adults, clear vision means greater employment opportunity and economic strength. For seniors clear vision means less dependence on others.
North Carolina Lions collect over 170,000 pairs of eyeglasses each year to address the need for glasses, making eyeglass recycling one of our most popular activities.
· Complete reusable glasses both plastic and metal frames
· Gold frames in any condition
· Antique Glasses
· Broken Glasses
· Sunglasses (any kind)
Items Not Needed
· Loose Lenses of any kind
Suggestions for a Successful Program
· Put someone in charge and set up a collection point.
· Meet with, or write a letter to the newspaper editor or radio station manager to explain the details of your campaign, including the names of the people involved.
· If your club has a bulletin, write an article for it about the collection drive. Follow up with reminders.
· Prepare collection boxes and place them with posters in selected locations. Be sure to put your Club name and a contact number on the collection boxes.
· Collection boxes are available from NCLI. DO NOT MAIL COLLECTION BOXES
· Opticians and optometrists can keep a collection box in the waiting room.
· Check with lost & found departments in hotels, stores, police stations, etc., for unclaimed glasses.
· Ask members of your club to spread the word among their friends and other groups to which they belong.
· Check your collection sites on a regular basis.
After removing unwanted items send your glasses to:
North Carolina Lions, Inc.
7050 Camp Dogwood Drive
PO Box 39
Sherrills Ford, NC 28673